Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day

This morning I was given the opportunity to roll over, hit the snooze button and rejoin my sleeping angels in dreamland for it is Labor Day! I hate to report that old habits die hard and that I got up close to my regular time and went through my normal morning routine.


This official last day of summer has been with us now for 131 years. It started in New York when the Central Labor Union planned a picnic to celebrate the workers. Working conditions were a little different in the 1880’s. The average work day was 11 and a half hours, 6 days a week. Workers really had no rights and benefits. One could speculate that this picnic might have been to boost morale.  The picnic was a hit with the workers and so the trend continued henceforth each year.

A large number of people are unhappy with thier current working conditions. In May of 2012, Forbes magazine reported that only 19% of workers were satisfied with their job while 44% were completely unsatisfied. That is almost half of all workers. Even though these statistics seem overwhelming, I contend most would be even MORE unhappy if they had no job. A job not only serves a financial need but an emotional one as well. 

My work as a musician doesn’t come without its frustrations but I find it a unique gift and ability to really uplift people with my craft. Even in this blissful dreamy job, there are times I feel like smashing my guitar and never playing another note. Of course then I remember I can play a blues song and everything will be in balance again. 

Work related songs have certainly weaved their way into our pop culture.

Here is my list of the greatest work songs

#1 The Pretender – Jackson Browne –  chart position # 58 

This song proves that a great song is not always indicated by its chart success. No song’s lyrics are more cutting than these. A depiction of life, we can all relate to. Here is a sample:

“Caught between the longing of love
and the struggle for legal tender
Where the sirens sing the church bells ring
And the junk man pounds his fenderWhere Veterans dream of the fight
Fall asleep at the traffic light
And the children solemnly wait
For the ice cream vendor
Out of the cool of the evening strolls the pretender
He knows all of his hopes and dreams
Begin and end there”

This is a great country song that is one of Merle’s best. Very catchy 12 bar blues song with a country twist. Lyrics are pretty straight forward….
“Gotta keep on workin’,
 as long as my 2 hands are fit to use”
Drink my beer in a tavern
Sing me a bit of those workin’ man blues

This is one of the most classic jazz melodies of all time that was recorded by Nat Adderly in 1960. The melody proved so hypnotic that it inspired Oscar Brown Jr. To add lyrics to it. I like both versions of the song. Which one do you like best?
To compare here is Oscar Brown Jr’s version 


The queen of disco rocked the charts with this all time classic. Great energy and very inspirational for women.

#5 Millworker – James Taylor – uncharted 

written for the musical “Working”. Beautiful melody that I saw James perform live on Saturday Night Live. I have always been fond of this song and its lyrics are reminiscent of the Pretender. One might wonder if he gained inspiration from the song. 

Inspired by a real meeting of men on a chain gang. Chain gangs are not really in use anymore with the exception of Maricopa County Arizona, where inmates can gain credit towards a high school diploma by volunteering for the chain gang.

This song came out on their “Pieces of Eight” album. An album that I wore the grooves off listening to “Sing for the Day” and a song that still makes me feel joy…. I digress… Blue Collar Man is a is a good song among many great ones from Styx and shows their harder edge. It has a signature rock organ lick that accentuates the song. 

One of the most motivational rocks songs of all time. It is the perfect rock song in my opinion. Great driving beat, great chord progression, great message, singable chorus that was not only an anthem of the bands greatest song, it was recently used in a FEDEX commercial.

Despite her iconic look, Dolly is an extraordinary songwriter. This song gained her an academy award nomination in addition to winning a 2 Grammy’s . This was another very empowering song for women and was featured in a wonderful comedy movie of the same name.

This song was one of Buffett’s last hit songs in his prime. I’ve always loved the chorus. It strays from his typical island sound motif.

Do you have a favorite work song? Write about it here.
To hear the songs listed click on the titles. 

Enjoy your Labor Day! 
Chris  

No comments:

Post a Comment