Saturday, July 20, 2013

Humor in Religion

As mentioned in my last post, I was in Kansas last week. While traveling home my wife and I decided to take the back roads. We have always been the type who prefers the local landscape over the boring mundane interstate. It’s fun to see different houses and wonder how people live in remote areas. 

Faith is the one thing that shows up big in a small town. Rural Kansas is no exception. While making our way north on State Road 177, we came across a church marquis that displayed the very simple question “got Jesus?” It was obviously a spin, off of the famous milk commercials that asked “got milk?” The commercial as well as the sign suggested that these were essentials to basic survival.

Since I wasn’t in a hurry I wanted to take a picture of it to help preserve the memory of our drive.  Of course my wife thought I was crazy but that’s nothing new.  I turned around and hopped out of the car. I made my way to underneath the sign. My wife positioned herself roadside as I posed by holding up my hands toward sign. A few seconds late, SNAP! The moment was immortalized by the camera of her smart phone.


After we drove off I reflected on this very simple question and wondered how it might be answered by those who passed by. Would they ignore it? Would it make them think of the famous milk commercials as it did me? Would they feel any guilt? Would it bring a feeling of reassurance?

Later that day I posted the picture to my facebook account. I got an assortment of likes from my family and friends and most seemed to get the light-hearted nature of the picture and me being goofy. 

All was fine until I received a comment from now an EX-friend who decided to openly criticize me for the posting. His post were so toxic I deleted them. Basically he believed that I was mocking Christians and called me a "hater of the Christ." I was stunned, not to mention offended by this grotesque character assassination of me. REALLY? ..... And you are my FRIEND?  Whew!!  Who needs enemies with friends like you??   After a few heated exchanges, I decided to cut my ties with the person. He certainly has a right to his opinion but not on MY facebook page. It was the 2nd time that he had done something like this and I wasn't going to tolerate it again.

It left me wondering though how Jesus might feel about this innocuous picture?

Then I thought, does Jesus have a sense of humor? Is humor in accord with Christianity?


Laughing Jesus by Gary Ellis


It’s an understanding of all factions of Christianity that Jesus lived a very human life. That being the case, one can assume that he experienced and expressed the whole range of emotions. He laughed, he cried, he was reflective, insightful and I believe FUNNY as well. Think about it; 13 guys roaming the Galilean countryside, there had to be times of gut splitting laughter.

Then my imagination kicked in......
what might happen in the absence of the multitudes. What if one evening Jesus looked over at Peter and said, “hey Pete, when James goes to sleep, let’s tie his feet together and then make a loud noise!”

It might have appeared in the KJV bible like this:

and lo, when night had come upon them, Jesus spake these words 
unto Peter, “Upon James’s slumber, thou shalt bind his feet with 
twine. Shall ye then make a joyful noise unto the Lord. He shall stumble from his sleep and bring laughter to the son of man….. 

Maybe Jesus placed a fish under his nose while he was still 
sleeping?  Maybe the disciples dunked Jesus in the Sea of Galilee on occasion? Who knows?

We will never know whether or not events such as these ever occurred but I believe they did. It would just seem consistent with our humanity.

Humor might be lacking in Scripture, but it is well represented in song.

Here are several funny songs about religion that have cracked me up over the years.

The most famous is “The Mississippi Squirrel Revival” by Ray Stevens – This song provides great imagery of what MIGHT happen if a squirrel got loose inside a church. It is a classic for sure.

“The Snake Song” by Bob Jenkins available on his album "Flying Sheep" is a hysterical song about a back woods church where they handle snakes.


“The Wiccan Quarterback”  by John Mitchell– describes a professional quarterback who is a practicing Wicca, talking to reporters after a big game.

“The Armageddon Polka” – also by John Mitchell – describes the end of the world in a most light hearted way. I actually cover this song in some of my performances

These songs can bring a laugh but music is not the only vehicle for bringing a chuckle about the church experience. Take a look at this video of funny baptisms. (click here)

Maybe these are just wayward humans, but I think not. I think God wants us to laugh and I think Jesus would laugh as well.

NOTE: To hear the songs above, click on the title of the song and it will take you to a video or audio of them.  

1 comment: