Thursday, June 20, 2013

Would You Like Some "Wisconsin Cheese" With That "Biblical Whine?"

    I was sitting around waxing nostalgic about my early school days at Hildebran Elementary School in Hildebran, NC. I recalled how we started our day with a prayer and a bible story out of Ms. Pitt’s bible story book. There was nothing unusual about it. It was just part of our routine. I mean after all, she was just sharing the “truth”, RIGHT?  How innocent was I to not even know of or think that anyone would ever object to this kind of activity. 

The Old Hildebran School - Hildebran, NC


    To be honest, I didn’t give it a 2nd thought. I was just a kid. It was just a prayer, it was just a bible story and I still hated math! Well, not really, but you get the point. By the time I hit 5th grade , the bible stories were no longer a part of the daily routine, however my teacher Ms. Watkins taught us all how to say the “God is great” prayer in sign language. Every day before lunch we would stand up and motion the prayer and recite it together as a class. It was cool.

    In 6th grade it was all business. Just like all the years before, I would show up, full of energy, and have to confine myself to a desk and learn about the Civil War and slavery. Not to mention a host of other topics that I hated THEN, but strangely enough, find great interest in NOW!  Go figure?! Yet, my days of getting any spiritual nourishment had passed!

    Fast forward to my 20’s, where I became more of aware of the debate surrounding prayer in school. It wasn’t a terribly big deal to me and I didn’t give it much thought at first, yet as my social awareness grew with age, I begin to form my own opinions. I begin to question whether it was right for my teachers to have included those things in our routine and wondered why they did. I also wondered why there was such a hullabaloo over it by those who opposed it.  Were they overreacting? Is there or could there be a common ground reached by these opposing sides?

Where did this debate come from? Where did it start and why?

    These kinds of are what motivate me to investigate matters of faith and hopefully gain a greater understanding of the underpinnings of such arguments. This quest for the truth led me to the town of Edgerton, Wisconsin where in 1886 the “Edgerton Bible Case” and essentially the “prayer in schools” debate began. 

   The story goes that in the 1880’s the school teachers in Edgerton would start each day reading the King James’ version of the bible to their classes. This upset the minority of Catholics who preferred the use of Douay-Rheims translation. They held the belief that theirs was the only correct version of the bible and did not want their children hearing an alternate translation. A court battle ensued and over the next 2 years the case made its way to the Wisconsin State Supreme Court. In 1888 the Court ruled that the practice of reading the bible to the children was a violation of church and state and therefore considered it unlawful to do so.

     The current status of the “Prayer in School” is that a school teacher can’t engage in religious practices or teachings in a classroom setting. This would be a violation of the first amendment and the “Establishment Clause.” This however does not prevent a person’s right to pray (in private) in school OR wherever they may choose. To prevent one from praying in a private way, would ALSO be a violation of the first amendment and the “Free Exercise” clause.

    One of the strongest organizations that advocates for prayer in schools is the Liberty Institute located in Plano, Texas. After looking at their website I have to admit that there is cleverness to their tact. While they are not aiming directly for prayer in the classroom, they are challenging for the right for a student to pray at ceremonies and the right for expressions of faith at functions outside the classroom. In one of their cases they advocated for the right of the Kountz High School cheerleaders to use a banner that includes the bible verse Phillipians 4:13 (I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me) to help inspire the football team to victory. On May of this year, the cheerleaders won their case and can continue to display bible verses on spirit banners.

    It brings up an interesting question about those who desire the right to pray publicly; The question is simply WHY? I personally see no need to pray publicly. Yes, it can be part of a ceremony but it doesn’t HAVE to be. The cheerleaders could choose other words to display on the spirit banners. Why does it have to have a religious tie in? After all, isn’t God for the other team too?? I am going to be very assumptive in saying this but I believe that most who pray publicly are more worried about their performance than connecting with God. If you don’t believe me, just asked the next person you know who is asked to kick off a Rotary meeting with a prayer. They are generally nervous and worried about how they’ll do. In the case of the cheerleaders I believe it is more about proselytizing than it is about lifting the team. Maybe I’m jaded? 

    Please know that I am not offended by public prayer nor am I advocating its ban, but for the high school senior who wishes to pray publicly at his graduation ceremony, I fear its more about their ego than it is centering the whole audience on God. What’s wrong with taking time to pray in private and then mentioning how much their faith means to them in their public statements? That is allowed by the way. There are no rules against it. Isn’t this a better way than serving the individuals egotistical needs to be heard praying, not to mention wasting tax payer dollars in legal wranglings on such frivolity? I tend to get riled up when I see someone pushing their own personal agenda upon others and that is what I feel has happened with the prayer in schools debate. The Conservative Christian movement is wanting to impose the will of its faith upon others. Although I consider myself a Christian, I don’t think that this is the Christian thing to do. It would eventually lead to the infusion of all faiths being given the opportunity to express THEIR faith. If it continued, I could imagine years down the road, the Bible reading followed by a reading from the Koran.  How would THAT fly in Texas? I wondered also if the Liberty Institute would be there to support that cause. So I emailed them to ask. The following was the response I received from one of their legal assistants Melissa Sanz:

“Thank you for contacting Liberty Institute. While most of us here are Christians, our goal is to protect religious liberty, regardless of which faith. We are able to help in cases where the right to religious expression in houses of worship, in schools, or in public has been threatened. We recognize that freedom of religious expression as guaranteed in the first amendment must exist for all faiths or else it will not truly protect any religion.”
Melissa Sanz 
Legal Assistant 
Liberty Institute


     While I do appreciate advocacy groups that seek to protect our First Amendment freedoms I don’t believe that school is the place for prayer nor is it the place for faith based actions that express in other ways. At the end of the day we can thank those “Cheesehead” Catholics in Edgerton, Wisconsin for first bringing the issue to light. 


No comments:

Post a Comment