Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Prayer Time


I am currently reading the book "The Many Faces Of Prayer" by Reverend Dr. Thomas Shepherd. 

The book illustrates the many people who engage in the practice of prayer. As we know prayer is practiced in all world religions in various forms and styles. He makes the point that prayer is either praying to someone or some thing or reflecting on the divine within. 

I have experienced prayer both ways. I currently embrace a Unity/New Thought mindset, but I was raised in a southern Baptist church where we fervently prayed to the "Lord JAYSUS Christ". I was definitely praying to a power out THERE. That being said, my prayer time is more personal now and I recognize my oneness with the divine and have a more inner connection. 

I have heard the notion, prayer is talking to God, while meditation is listening to God. I guess it is for some people. My prayers are mostly in an affirmative style. I never pray beseeching God's graces anymore. I pray more from the mindset of knowing that any prayer I pray is already answered to the level of my faith. I have found that even though I recognize more with the divinity within, I customarily end my prayers with “Thank YOU God”, which could easily be interpreted as praying to an entity outside of myself.

Each of us will have our own way of praying that has been shaped and reshaped by our culture, our beliefs and our experiences. One of my personal pet peeves about prayer are those who pray to God like there is some great candy giver in the sky who whimsically sits upon a throne and decides whether or not to grant the wishes and the pleadings of those in prayer. YET, I know there are some who believe this whole-heartedly and I honor their path of spirituality.

Answered prayer to me is when my awareness is in line with Divine Mind. When I can detach from the outcome of a specific prayer, KNOWING that the prayer is answered. This doesn’t always walk in step with the physical universe. I may pray for prosperity, but it may not manifest in the form of money. I may in turn, meet someone who has an idea for me OR I develop and idea that I have had. Prayer is a way of internal alignment that allows me to not limit God to money. One thought could be worth billions of dollars. Walt Disney drew the beloved character Mickey Mouse in a moment of distress. It’s estimated that Disney is worth 54 billion dollars today. If Walt was praying for prosperity, I am quite sure it didn’t rain down $100 bills from heaven but the seed planted in his mind exceeded any dream of prosperity in his moment of despair.  

To make this blog interactive I thought I would offer up some questions that will allow you to share.

How do you pray and why?

Have you ever had a prayer answered and if so WHAT?  

1 comment:

  1. I have a problem with someone telling me how to pray, It actually got to the point that when I prayed I would start correcting myself. How awful, to feel like you can't pray correctly. I believe that prayer is personal and unique. Each of us is a unique human being with a unique connection and I think it is wrong to critique another soul on their way of connecting. This is not directed at the writer of this blog. It is directed at organized religion. Sometimes I pray inside sometimes I pray outside myself. I believe that God exits inside of me as well as outside. I do not limit God.

    ReplyDelete